I am so excited to announce that the first MotherTongues app is here! It is available in the Apple app store for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, and it is free!
10 Reasons you will LOVE the free World Words word-a-day app:
* Learn a new difficult-to-translage, life-affirming word every day.
* Deepen your sense of well-being, community, peace and justice.
* Hear a native speaker audio pronunciation for most words.
* Share your favorite words via Facebook, Twitter, email or text - easily!
* No internet connection needed after the download - the words are contained in the app.
* No ads!
* Set push notifications and the time of day to be notified of the new word-of-the-day.
* Scroll through previous words.
* Bookmark to save your favorite words.
* Learn the meaning of the word in English, the language it is from, and the country where it is spoken.
I have consulted the following books and websites to find the words for World Words, in addition to many friends around the world! I always tried to find multiple sources to double check the meaning, spelling, etc., but please let me know at mothertongues(at)mothertongues(dot)com if you find an error or something I can add! New words are always welcome and will be added in an update. If you know the pronunciation of a word in World Words that isn't yet pronounced in the app, please add the pronunciation at www.Forvo.com and I will be able to add it in the app. Thank you/Dankie/Gracias/Obrigado!
In Other Words: A Language Lover's Guide to the Most Intriguing Words around the World, by C. J. Moore
They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases, by Howard Rheingold
The Meaning of Tingo: and Other Extraordinary Words from Around the World, by Adam Jacot de Boinod
That's Amore!: The Language of Love for Lovers of Language, by Erin McKean
Lost in Translation: A Life in a New Language, by Eva Hoffman